Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Harder week

So it's been a little harder this week to eat perfect, but I can still say I haven't had any pure sugar, and that is a big accomplishment during this oh-my-gosh-he-brought-in-100-buckeyes-today season.

For today's work potluck, I decided to follow a friend's advice and NOT make my sugar-filled pizzelles. Instead, I found a low-fat recipe for cheddar garlic biscuits that people seemed to enjoy (judging by the empty container I brought home).

But the potluck was an explosion of homemade ice-cream sandwiches, fudge, cupcakes, chocolate cookies and the aforementioned 100 buckeyes.

I managed to avoid all the desserts and instead had a small plate of other dishes: about a half cup of mac and cheese that was to-die-for, five tortilla chips, a corn/black bean salad, a piece of cheese and some Italian luncheon meat. I felt as good as I could about my choices.

Tonight, though, at Trivia Night, I had a grilled chicken sandwich (on bread) and sweet potato fries. Not the best choice.

I also snacked a lot on Saturday and Sunday nights -- some gluten-free crackers and light cream cheese and cashews -- and that is showing up on the scale. Which sucks. But I still applaud myself for the sugar fast. Especially now, when it would be so easy to just consume every little thing that turns up on a ribbon-decorated platter.

I realize this isn't as pure a sugar fast as I've done in the past. But at least I am avoiding the big triggers. The longer I can do that, the easier it will get.

This coming weekend and next week will probably be a little hard, but not for the reasons you'd expect. I'm not going to a big family dinner or a Christmas party or a potluck or, really, anywhere. I will be on my own from Friday through Wednesday (I work Tuesday, Christmas Day, but will be working from home. Sounds good but it really isn't, as there's no one here but me. And those cookies in the freezer) and my fear is that depression/loneliness will make me fold.

I also still have a lot of proofreading work to do, so I can't just take off and go sit in the park.

While this post may sound like a whole lot of complaining, it actually helps me to write out my fears and my progress -- raw as they are. It helps me visualize the road hazards up a head and map out a plan.

And that's step 1 of staying on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. Ready for the New Year - bring it on!!!flw

    ReplyDelete