Friday, February 22, 2013

Blech

I am facing two weekends in a row where I'll be without my fresh food delivery, and today was Day 1 without it. Naturally, I've been a little scared. I don't want to mess up what I've accomplished by eating the wrong thing.

So instead I haven't really eaten much today.

I had saved a snack from earlier in the week (yogurt with mangos) and had it for breakfast. And then I kinda slept most of the day (not good! so much to do!). I just got back up and decided I needed to eat. So I opened my freezer (for the first time in five-plus weeks) and looked at my options. Lean Cuisines, Trader Joe meals, and some Tyson chicken breasts. Lightly breaded but low in calories and fat and packaging that says "all natural ingredients." Which I hoped meant no preservatives.

I made two and just sat down to eat.

Two or three bites in, and I have to throw it away. The salt is overwhelming. I used to eat these as my version of eating healthy and they tasted great. I guess I was used to the sodium. But now, after having eating such fresh food all these weeks, I can't stomach it.

(I just went back to the freezer to make sure I read the label correctly. Turns out there's a little tiny asterisk next to "all natural ingredients" that says "minimally processed." Of course.)

I think, though, this is a really good thing. It means what I've been eating has been so much better for my body. I must admit, though, I'm a little worried about how to eat the next three days. Luckily I will be with people who are very healthy eaters, so perhaps it won't be too bad. But trying to find all fresh foods -- that is harder than it seems.

Luckily for right now, I have an option for dinner. A new place opened up nearby called the Protein Bar, and it has all the kinds of foods I got in my weekly meals. Going to have some quinoa for dinner and maybe a smoothie. I certainly need to eat more, as I've probably only had 200 calories so far today. And it's 5:44. Not healthy. Not smart. But the result of being terrified about what to eat!

I'm not sure why it has to be so hard. But no wonder we have such health problems. I'm kind of freaked out by what I've been ingesting all these decades. If it's not fresh...what is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment