Sunday, February 7, 2010

Something

By "Something" I mean, "that's something!" And by that I mean, I completed 8 miles today, and I ran much more than I have in the past two or three weeks. So -- that's something!

It was hard. I am so out of shape, and the shin did bug me some of the time. But I impressed myself with my dedication: Around Mile 3, I had -- funny enough on Super Bowl Sunday -- a wardrobe malfunction. I won't go into specifics, but it involved a lot of chafing that was going to curtail my run. I was trying to figure out what to do (go home, fix my pants and return later? just run long tomorrow?) but none of my options were desirable. So I came up with a solution that surprisingly worked. I took off one of my gloves and placed it strategically and....kept on running. I was pretty proud that I didn't let it stop me.

Was that too much information? Sorry!

I'm still really worried about Saturday's race but am trying not to care too much.The race Web site contradicts itself a bit: It says it welcomes walkers, but it also gives a time limit of 15-minute miles. I did about that today, but a little over. Oh well. We'll just take it mile by mile and see what happens.

There was a point in the mileage where I was just too tired to run and it got me thinking about last summer. Today, I was out for two hours. Last summer, there were days I was out for FIVE HOURS. I sure hope I can get back to that level of fitness.

OK, I've got a ton of proofing to do tonight, so I better get back to it. Luckily, you can't eat and proof at the same time. I wouldn't want Random House to get back pages covered with orange fingerprints from my Cheddar Cheese Baked Lays!

No comments:

Post a Comment