Sunday, January 9, 2011

Keep moving

Oh what a day.

As I mentioned, I have a new proofreading job, but it's the sequel to another novel, so I wanted to read the first book first. After some hijinks, I finally got the book in my hands last night and started to read it this morning. The plan was to read part of it while on an exercise bike at the gym, just so I wasn't a complete slug on the couch all day.

I got off to a late start (surprise, surprise). When I was putting on my workout wear, I glanced outside and it was clear. As I put my outerwear on, I saw snowflakes falling from the sky. And despite having to walk to the gym, less than a half mile away, but still a distance in the cold, I was determined to still go so I packed up my bag.

Then I got outside. Coming down in a torrent were huge snowflakes .. but not really. It wasn't as solid as hail but those weren't flakes. It was more like mini snowballs were falling in a torrent from the sky and the wind was blowing them into my face. I walked to the corner and it was painful. I knew I would not be able to walk to the gym in these conditions (in a matter of minutes, the ground was covered in snow). I decided to duck into the grocery store for cover.

Mission aborted, I did some grocery shopping, picking up a few Lean Cuisines and some bananas. When I emerged from the store, it was still snowing, but not nearly as bad. Which made me reconsider aborting the mission. So I dropped off my groceries and went to the gym, pedaling for an hour as I continued reading my book.

I've never been a fan of the recumbent exercise bike, because it truly doesn't feel like you're getting a workout. But I figured it was the only piece of equipment I could use and actually read on (and use a highlighter for important details) and it was better than nothing.

I only burned about 300 calories biking for an hour, but even the 300 seemed like it was overstating it. When I stood up, my legs weren't wobbly (wobbly being a sure sign of a good workout), so I figured it wasn't all that good.

At home and showered, I finished the book. It was awesome. But I just finished now and it's 2 a.m. And I need to get up at 8 a.m. to get in a run before visiting a friend's house at noon. AND....well, that bike riding must have done something, because I am sore!

And I know that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment