Friday, January 21, 2011

Spin!

I was determined to make it to spin class today. I was looking forward to seeing my favorite instructor and spinning/lunching with friends afterward. And I knew if I skipped it, I'd have already broken the Friday tradition.

So when I found out I had a day shift at the newspaper, I was bummed. Mega bummed. But then my boss figured out a way I could go: If I got all my work done beforehand, I could take a lunch break and return after the spin/lunch combo.

Well, easier said than done. I had designer's block Thursday night and everything I tried, failed. I finally went home at 3:30 a.m. when the computer kicked me off - and out. I returned at 10 a.m. this morning and was able to finish up minutes before taking off for the 12:15 p.m. class.

I was beyond thrilled when my favorite instructor recognized me (after all this time) and gave me a hug and words of encouragement. I was pumped for the class and started pedaling wildly.

Fast-forward (well, slow-mo forward is more like how it felt) to 12:45 and my legs were dying. I considered stopping early but then remembered the mountain of work I had to finish just to get here. So I kept going.

At 1:04, the instructor had us do another 5 minutes of very, very hard climbing. I didn't think I was going to make it. I tried to distract my brain by thinking about work, singing a song to myself, but nothing worked. So I decided to pray. "Our Father," followed by "Hail Mary," and repeat. It seemed a little ridiculous to be thinking these prayers as the stereo blared "If You Want My Body," but it worked. The five minutes passed and, well, I felt blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment